Oral Hygiene and Tonsil Stones

Man I hate tonsil stones! It’s the bane of my existence, I’ve been getting them ever since I can consciously remember. As a child, I had suffered several bouts of strep throat, but by the time I reached my teenage years some ten years ago, something was different. When I felt another one of these annoying strep throat coming on, I didn’t think too much of it as the main symptom was familiar — a dull sore-throat pain.


oral hygiene and tonsil stones

Something was off though this time; I felt something like an object of some sort stuck in the back of my throat. It’s something I felt like swallowing but couldn’t. So I stuck my finger on my tonsil, and something immediately popped out. Mere words can’t explain the fear and disgust I felt back then, I mean there’s this foul smelling yellowish object that came out of my mouth which I was certain wasn’t a piece of food or anything. I didn’t know what it was. I guess what I’m trying to say is; I freaked out!

I told my dad about my little incident in front of the sink and to my surprise, he knew what the thing that came out of my mouth was; he said that it was tonsil stones. Apparently, my dad had his share of tonsil stones when he was in his twenties, and it caused him all sorts of problems, and none was worse than bad breath.

Anyway, my dad told me that tonsil stones wasn’t dangerous but it did present him with problems related to his social life. And since he couldn’t find a way to stop them from reappearing, he eventually had his tonsils removed, which definitely fixed the problem.

As for me, the thought of me going under the knife terrified the crap out of me. There ain’t no way in hell I was going to let some doctor remove any of my body parts. So I sought an alternative, less painful way of dealing with my tonsil stones.

After conducting some research, I decided to boost my oral hygiene. I’m now a 26 year old male in very good physical shape with a perfect dental practices. I brush 3 times a day, floss, use a tongue scraper daily as well as mouthwash and chewing gum. I also avoid food with strong smells, like cheese, onions etc.

I wish I could tell you that my tonsil stones stopped re-appearing, but I can’t. I do feel however that the intervals between occurrences are growing wider and wider, and I do think this is due to my excellent dental practices. At times, I do contemplate removing my tonsils and be done with it, but I just can’t seem to bring myself to do that.

So my advice for you; if you’re living with tonsil stones and surgery is not an option for you, the only thing you can do is to prioritize your oral hygiene. I’m sure this will help you in at least managing your tonsil stones. [more about tonsil stones......]


tonsil stones treatments